Sunday, January 30, 2011

Writing With Crayons

The Emily Dickinson writing assignment that was done in crayon felt different to write than a writing assignment done on the computer on Microsoft word or in a notebook with an erasable pencil.  When I am writing I am often afraid to make mistakes and not be able to erase them.  Because of this I always try to write in pencil, not pen, so writing with a crayon was hard for me.  Obviously you cannot erase crayon, and so when I was writing my response to the poem I really had to think about what i wanted to say to avoid having too many "cross-outs."  Also, I did not feel as though I had to leave out any ideas that I wanted to say, but I really had to plan ahead because of the space constraint.  I did not want to have to leave any of my ideas out because I ran out of space.  Writing with a crayon was much more difficult than I expected!

Some adjectives I used to describe the different pages of my classmates colleagues are peaceful, naive, short, precise, impersonal, professional, creative, intelligent, dull, colorful, neat, and childish.  I used these adjectives to mostly describe the different ways all of the projects looked and the content of the writing.  Some were peaceful, childish, and naive like the one that included pictures of colored animals and said in it that everyone should always tell the truth.  These adjectives seemed to fit because it is an unrealistic statement to make that the human race should always tell the truth.  Human nature is to lie to protect oneself and others.  Also, this person probably drew pictures of animals and nature because nature is always straight forward and tells the truth.  Many of the colleagues were very professional, creative, intelligent, colorful and neat.  These projects were all very neatly written and colorful and the responses to the poem all included quotes from the poem and good insight.  People that did their projects like this might have written their responses out before actually writing them on the paper with crayon to ensure that they would be neat and fit the page.  Some colleagues could be described as being short, but precise.  Some people wrote very short responses, but they were mostly all to the point.  People that did this probably did not enjoy writing with the crayon because it was so hard, and so they tried to write less and make their point quickly.

A culture that only uses crayons as writing implements might seem childish or unintelligent to us.  But, if that is all that the this culture knows then it would be very natural to them to use crayons to write and would not seem childish at all to them.  This culture would probably be much more creative and free than us.  When we are children we often color, doodle, or draw with crayons because we can only color, not write words yet.  One cannot color with lead pencils because they do not have an assortment of colors and holding a thin pencil is hard for little fingers.  Once we learn to write our crayons are taken away from us and are replaced with more professional pencils and pens.  If we lived in a culture where crayons were never taken away from us to learn to write we would all be much more creative.  Because of this the culture would probably be most proud of their creativity among their people.  The more free and creative a person was would probably be considered a sign of intellectual prowess.  I believe that writing with only crayons would make a culture more innovative.  

The writing implement that one uses to write with can greatly affect the content of their writing.  Because it was so physically hard to write with the crayon, it was more tempting to write less and be more precise.  Also, the constraints of the paper and how permanent the crayon was made it vital to really think about what one was going to say before writing it down.  Although, writing with a crayon was much more creative which made me think more creatively.  Because of this I think my response was deeper and insightful.  Writing implements can really change the way one thinks and physically writes.

1 comment:

  1. There is a lot of depth to this post, but I wonder if you might be able to delete quite a bit. What text here is valueless? The hardest part is the streamlining. We love what we have written -- all of it -- so we reject the notion that we must delete whatever doesn't seem to fit with the presentation. This is particularly hard if the writing is good and engaging but off topic.

    Remember the adage: I would have written a shorter paper if I had more time.

    So, could you re-post this with strikeouts through the text that you think could be left out?

    ReplyDelete